Tuesday, September 2, 2008

bye bye big pink pillow

So, I have decided to stop beating the dead horse of trying to nurse the girls. They have self-weaned to once per day (first thing in the AM). The past few days, my more interested nurser (Hannah) has boycotted and won't even latch on, just cries. My less interested nurser (Meredith) has been doing OK but has taken to chewing on me and Hannah pesters her the whole time she nurses so it has been a frustrating battle to say the least. I decided to put away the pillow and not try anymore. I have been a big sobbing crybaby all day and I know I just have to grieve the loss of our special time together and then I will be OK. Nursing sessions, to me, were our sweetest moments. When they were screaming colicy newborns, nursing provided the only peace in our day. I loved knowing that I took my 4 pound babies to 12 pounds each on nursing alone (besides the supplementing we had to do for the first few weeks) before we started solids. I found joy in knowing that nursing was something that only I could do for them. Some of my favorite moments of their lives this far were when they started noticing me and each other across the pillow and some of the best first smiles, giggles and coos were during our nursing sessions. I am glad that we made it this far and nursing them is one thing I am most proud of myself for.
Here we are finishing up a few weeks into it and getting things down pat. One of the G-rated photos!
Here they are on Saturday eating cookies (the thing that now provides us with peace) and hanging out with Daddy!

2 comments:

Casey said...

Looks like both you and I were pretty weepy yesterday. I pretty much cried all day b/c Adeline started a preschool. Doesn't sound like much but to a mom, I miss her being my baby!! I love reading your blog. The girls are just beautiful.

MamaQ said...

Big hugs to you! It is sad when they move on, so grieve all you need to. You should be so incredibly proud of yourself that you were able to nurse for so long...and 2 at a time, I was never good at that. I think you have a good idea of trying to spend some special time with each baby in some other way. Hannah and Meredith are very lucky to have such a loving mommy!